While some types of fungi can be edible, like mushrooms or yeast, mold isn’t one of them. In fact, it can be harmful to ingest or even inhale. There are more than 100,000 types of mold that are found both indoors and outdoors. They grow best in damp and dimly lit areas, making attics, basements and bathrooms home to many varieties of this unwanted fungi.
Mold grows where there’s moisture so keeping the humidity levels in your home as low as you can will prevent moisture from building up and settling on surfaces. Aim for a humidity level lower than 50 percent at all times. You can control this by using an air conditioner or dehumidifier.
Whether you’ve been hit hard by a storm and your basement is flooded or a pipe burst in your home and turned your bathroom into a swimming pool, it’s important that you clean and dry the area within 48 hours. Once the majority of the water is gone, wipe down all the surfaces with a cloth and use fans to dry out the area.
infographic by: www.apartmentguide.com