After the social media giant started supporting Israeli airstrikes in Gaza, netizens decided to stab back the platform by giving Facebook a one-star rating. The Facebook application on the App Store and Play Store had a 4+ rating which dropped down significantly in less than a week to 2.0 on App Store and 2.4 on Google Play Store.
The main reasons that triggered the netizens who are constantly sharing posts in the support of Palestine include,
- Facebook deleted their post regarding the Palestine issue
- Some users reported their accounts being suspended by the company for sharing Palestine-related posts
- The company created a page named “Jerusalem Prayer Team” and provided fake likes to it in order to suppress the Palestine narrative
- Likes from various profiles who were totally unaware of the existence of such page were also given to the Jerusalem Prayer Team
- Facebook-owned Instagram also censored posts that were related to Israeli attacks in Gaza
The US President Joe Biden has already told Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel Prime Minister that he expects a “significant” decrease in the attacks in Palestine however, it is unclear how President Biden defines “significant” here.
So far, America has not joined Israeli attacks on Gaza, in fact, has asked the country to ceasefire immediately. But, Netanyahu is not ready to admit that Israel is “attacking” Palestine as he continues to argue that the country is acting in “self-defense”.